Monday, April 8, 2013

Eleven children killed in a Nato air strike

Spreading democracy one death at a time...

Eleven children have been killed in a Nato air strike in eastern Afghanistan, officials and witnesses say. At least one woman was reportedly killed and a further six are believed to have been injured in the incident in Shigal district, Kunar province.

Nato confirmed that "fire support" was used in Shigal after a US civilian adviser died in a militant attack, but said it had no reports of deaths. Afghan President Hamid Karzai condemned the killings. A statement issued by his office said he had already issued a decree banning aerial attacks on civilian areas.

Villagers and officials told the BBC that the casualties were inside their homes when they died. Photographs apparently sent from the scene to international news agencies appeared to show the bodies of several dead young children, surrounded by Afghan villagers.

A local official said eight Taliban insurgents had also died in the air strike on Saturday, which is reported to have caused the roofs of several houses in three villages to collapse. Read more >>
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment